So, you'll remember I warned you how behind on life I get during baseball season...something about 80-100 hour work weeks that turn you upside down! But, no complaints here...it has actually been a wonderful season for me despite the long hours and our team's dismal record.
What has made it so special for me was a special project I have been working on - the reunion of the 1959 Austin Senators baseball team. The Austin Senators won the Texas League Championship that year, and went on to win the first-ever Pan-American Championship - all without recognition. They never received championship rings for their accomplishments. Obviously, this is the 50th Anniversary of those championships.
Back in February, a few of my bosses called me in their office to let me know they were putting me in charge of the weekend. One of them predicted "this will be one of the greatest projects you'll ever get to do." How true that statement ended up being - but those words don't even come close to wrapping around how my heart feels.
I started researching, and long story short, I found 12 surviving players scattered across the country. I can't tell you how exciting it was to find them! Some of these guys have fairly common names, and the last address I had for most of them was 1959! I felt like a private detective....and then to make the phone call explaining what we were doing and hearing their surprise was awesome. Planning began, and 11 were coming. We were flying them in, putting them up in hotels, and all the details began to emerge. Every few days for the past 5 months, I spoke to one of these gentlemen (now mostly in their mid 70's) or their families, and I could tell how touched they were that anyone cared, that we were doing this, and the attention to detail we were giving. As the date neared, rather than stress over the event, which I tend to do - I was so excited. I couldn't wait to meet them all! And most importantly, I wanted this to be the most wonderful experience for them and their familes.
part 2 coming soon!
p.s. how awesome was their logo?


2 comments:
You know I never leave blog comments, but I just had to on this post! I can not wait to hear about the event!! I had chills reading this entry.
Love you (and miss you terribly!)-
Rachel
This sounds awesome!! I know you are having a blast with it and can't wait to hear more, too!!
Post a Comment