Friday, July 18, 2008

Good Thing I'm Marrying a Chef

I had this recipe I have been wanting to try, and thought I would make it last night for Chris. It is time consuming, and takes me a few hours. The recipe called for me to put parchment paper on a pan in the oven. I couldn't find parchment paper, but I found generic brand wax paper. I figured it was the same.

It's not!

After a few minutes, I smelled something familiar, but not tasty. I opened the oven, and smoke comes pouring out, even though the food is not cooked. "Must have been something on the bottom of the oven," I tell myself. Ten minutes later, it is much worse. Chris comes to diagnose the situation, despite my objections (I wanted to keep the meal a surprise).

Suddenly, the familiar smell was clear: melted crayons from a elementary school art project come flooding to mind. I grab the wax paper box. "DO NOT USE IN CONVENTIONAL OVENS." So, all the ingredients, prep, etc. were a waste. The food went in the trash. To be honest with you, I nibbled a bit before throwing it away and despite the strong wax taste, I think I messed up the recipe anyway b/c it had a little bit of egg whites in it, but it tasted very eggy. So maybe it's just as well!

We just threw some chicken on the grill and had some broccoli and ready rice. Not exciting or impressive, but edible!

I can cook, and I have learned a ton from the chef. I would consider myself a "foodie" at times, but sometimes I feel like a little kid in the kitchen....last night was one of those!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no!!! Once I spent all day slow roasting a really nice piece of beef only to DROP it on the floor during transfer :( Thank God for pizza delivery :)