Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Neighborly
Ok, so....since I moved to this house, and now we both live in this house, we've only met a few neighbors. Apparently that whole welcome wagon thing does not happen anymore. I was kinda disappointed when I first moved in. I remember always bringing a welcome gift to new neighbors growing up. And I really hoped there would be an actual wagon. So, when we had new neighbors move in across the street, I brought them a plant and a note, and they kind of had an odd reaction.
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood no more?
So, my next door neighbors have two hound dogs. The kind that howl at the moon incessantly. Usually it is not that bad, for some reason...this summer, it has been brutal. Like three times a week, 2:30 a.m. howl-a-thon for 45 minutes. Just when I think they've stopped....more howling! Now, I have a little sound machine (ok, it is a box fan turned backwards), and that helps muffle noise. Alas, the howling still comes through. After my 3rd sleepless night one week, I did a report to the homeowners association. The next week, it happened again, three nights again. So, I did another report. And one more about a month later. But nothing was happening. I promise, I am a dog person. I LOVE dogs! Just not howling in the wee hours. And we weren't the only ones. There were many times I would open the curtains in frustration to see other neighbors turning on their porch lights and coming outside to see what all the racket was about.
So, it happened again last night. It was one of the worst yet. Over an hour, at around 3 a.m. I imagined myself printing out a bark collar order form and taping it to their door. However, our HOA suggested last time that I call animal control, and they will do a formal complaint. I feel guilty, but I did that today.
It was supposed to be anonymous.....and I hope it was...but, the neighbors who own the dogs...who never say hi or hello when we wave or try to talk (since I moved in), rang my doorbell tonight.
When I get home from work, I like to change to comfy pants and a t-shirt before cooking (sort of like Mister Rogers does his sweater and "sneakers"). 99.9% of my t-shirts are plain black t's. I was feeling adventurous today though, and of all things grabbed a Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt with a dixie flag on it. Nice. That is how I answered the door.
They said they heard their dogs have been people keeping up and they just wanted to apologize. I was shocked, because they usually turn their head the other way to avoid eye contact in the driveway.....and the fact that I was wearing that Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt (did I mention it was kinda tight too?) when we finally spoke. They were very nice, and it was nice to finally get their names. I acknowledged the dogs had howled in the night before without incriminating myself as the animal-control-calling-pesky neighbor that I apparently am.
I am trying not to feel too guilty/mortified, after all....the dogs howl incessantly and constantly and lately....so I am looking at the bright side: I finally know their names and have spoken words with them! Maybe we'll even have conversations from time to time. I will be sure to bring them some Apple Butter at Christmas...and maybe a bark collar or two.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
So, what are they going to do? I've heard of judges deciding that dogs needed to have their vocal boxes removed. Harsh, I know! But, honestly...what is the solution?
While we're house hunting...I'm going to look in yards next door for DOGS!!!!
Thanks for the warning. =)
I think bark collars would be a lovely Christmas gift. And include a doggie sweater or 2.
Dogs love those.
I think you did the right thing even though it was hard. Good gried- how could THEY not hear it?? Oh that stinks!
Oh my! I would have done EXACTLY what you did (except it would've been an old Aerosmith T-shirt...don't ask!)
Post a Comment