Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hold on to 16 as long as you can...


I heard "Jack and Diane" on the way to work. You know, by John Cougar Mellencamp (I'll never let him lose the "Cougar," and you either Tiffani-Amber Theissen! How dare you drop the Amber, Kapowski? What's next, Soliel Moon Frye dropping the Moon?!).
It's such a classic. My brother Garrard was a big Mellencamp fan growing up, so I was well schooled on all his music and lyrics. Two that stand out are "Jack and Diane" and "Minutes to Memories." Both have been quoted by people I love. Hillary in her Editor's letter in our senior yearbook. And Garrard in his Salutatorian speech at high school graduation.
"Jack and Diane" first - the quote that matters is "hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon and make us women and men."
Man, how true is that? I always got this, even as a kid. And I took it to heart. I didn't want to leave kindergarten for first grade, I really wasn't ready to quit playing house and with barbies when everyone else was either. And when 16 finally came and went, I held on to it, 17, and 18 with all my heart. The last thing I ever wanted to do was graduate high school and move away from all my friends. Four years later, I was in the same boat when it was time to leave Tuscaloosa. While this may sound like someone who just doesn't like change (and that is certainly true), I also know I can say I thoroughly enjoyed each stage of life. Along the way, I remember taking a moment to soak those good times in, and that these days were fleeting and wonderful. I would always remember them fondly...so better make some good stories for the grandkids! I think I successfully fufilled that last part, although there were plenty of mistakes along the way. But that's what makes us who we are, faults and all. Best of all, I LOVED my friends with all my heart at each stage. And I felt their love too...isn't that what it's all about?
So "Minutes to Memories" has a quote with the same idea, with a not-so-subtle life lesson: "Days turn to minutes, and minutes to memories. Life sweeps away the dreams that we have planned. You are young, and you are the future, so suck it up and tough it out and be the best you can."

Well said, John Cougar. Well said.

1 comment:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

How dare she try to drop Amber?? WHAT?? What do Zak and Slater have to say about this?

I never would have loved that song passionately if it hadn't been for you. It was perfect to put in the ole yearbook, I do believe. Thanks for the shout out. But more importantly, thanks for the great memories. I loved all of it, too.

Oh, and I'm SUPER thankful there wasn't some blackmail picture lurking in this post. Thanks! I mean I like the memories and all..., but they are super nice in the PAST- without the braided leather belt.