Friday, February 13, 2009

Bag, You're It

This is my first "tagging," so I hope I do this right....
1) Post a picture of whatever bag you are carrying as of late. No, you cannot go up to your closet and pull out a cute purse...and a picture of whatever is inside.
2) Tell us how much it cost. This is not to judge…this is for entertainment purposes only. And if there is a story to go along with how you obtained it, please do tell.
3) Tag some chicks. And link back to this post (Beth @ Total Mom Haircut) so people know why you are showing your bag.
(and yes, Hill..I totally copied and pasted your blog for this, editing out the Diaper Bag parts)
So, here is my bag...
I got it at the Gap Outlet in early fall. Black canvas with patent trim. Very simple and cheap....$10, if I remember correctly. I'm kind of over it, but haven't found any new bags I like enough. I usually go very funky in the bag department, so this is a little boring for me. By the way, I took this pics at work (productive, I know...but I had a big event last night, so I take a day to recover!)...that is NOT my carpet!

Here's all the stuff in it:

That would be, in a clockwise pattern: makeup bag with about 70 lipglosses and lipsticks, spare change, business card case, advil packets, small notebook, pen, gum, sunglasses, tin of Smith's Rosebud Salve (wonderful stuff!), fortune from fortune cookie ("Comprimise is always wrong if it means sacrificing a principle" - by the way, I get annoyed when fortunes are statements and not fortunes. Not that I believe them at all, but the ones that say "something exciting is coming in the mail" are way more fun!), my grandfather's silver dollar, and my wallet. There were also three tampons, but I was a little shy to put those on the table at work.

On that silver dollar note, it's a cool story. My grandfather (Mom's Dad) died in his early 40's. He had a bad heart...had been a sick child. His name was Branham Merrill. My mom is named after him, she is a junior! Everyone called him Brother. My mother was 21 when he died, so obviously none of us children ever knew him, but my grandmother made sure we knew all about him. There were so many stories, and we did feel like we knew him. I used to have dreams that I got to visit him in Heaven...and I always knew that when my grandmother passed away, it would of course be sad, but I was happy for her being reunited with him in Heaven, and she was, nearly 40 years later). I guess the best way to describe him in all the stories I have heard was that he was full of life and love, always...and a friend to everyone. Anyway, one Christmas, my Mom and grandmother got together and decided to give all the grandchildren a silver dollar that had been my grandfather's. He wasn't a coin collector, but just held on to silver dollars....not for luck....it was just his thing. I keep this in my purse (don't you love the clip art, printer style and ink from 1999):

It's a 1921 silver dollar, and I do keep it in my purse at all times. Just a neat connection to my grandparents.

ok, bag to the bag thing..I did want to share my laptop bag with you as well. It was $24 at Target and I love it:

Ok, now for tagging...not sure who all reads this but Jennifer, Candice, and Sara have all left comments, so I know you do! Have fun!

2 comments:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Love that story, Log! Thanks so much for playing along.
Yes- I hid tampons (OUT OF THEIR WRAPPER) from my picture, too. Nice, huh?
The laptop bag ROCKS (as does the other), but I can't believe it was only $24!! Awesome steal!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing!