Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wedding Favorites: Gospel Choir

We had a few misses with the music at our wedding: our acoustic guitarist zoned out and didn't play "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" as I walked down the aisle, and the band we hired for the reception because they had a fiddle player didn't bring the fiddle. But, it's all stuff people didn't notice for the most part besides us. The part of our wedding day music that they did notice, and that we just loved was the gospel choir that sang before and after the ceremony. George Powell and Friends were everything we hoped for and more. Professional and courteous, George was a joy to work with and he and his choir are very talented.

I didn't want our wedding videotaped, but I do wish I had a videotape of the songs that I didn't hear them sing before I walked down the aisle. We had several planned and not sure if they sang all of them or not due to time, but "Uncloudy Day," "Amen," and "How Great Thou Art" were possiblities. Our mothers were seated to "Amazing Grace," so I did hear the end of that, and it was beautiful. After we were pronounced husband and wife, they broke into "Oh, Happy Day" as we walked out of the church. They were wonderful and brought a real atmosphere of praise and joy to the day that was all that we wished for. They do have an album coming out later this year, and I encourage everyone to check out the link above so perhaps you can support these talented and gifted musicians.

1 comment:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Absolutely. Hands down. BEST part of the wedding. Of course the minister being your childhood minister who you asked to marry you 20 years ago would come in a come second- or a tie. BUT, the gospel choir rocked and I am still talking about it- REALLY!
And why didn't you want it video taped?